The reason I added Shakeology to my diet in November was because I couldn’t find anything wrong with it; honestly the more I tried to find bad news, I just kept finding more good! People who were drinking it were raving about increased energy, reduced cravings and even improved hormonal balance and digestion. Even though I was eating a pretty healthy diet, when I looked at the ingredients, I knew I wasn’t getting a lot of the good stuff that was in there. I was saving so much money from giving up alcohol that I figured I deserved to splurge a little on this nutrient dense drink. I’m so glad I did. It’s delicious and has definitely increased my energy. It’s also a useful after work snack!!
Here’s what’s in Shakeology:
1. Prebiotics, Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes, which aid in improving digestion, regularity, and nutrient absorption*
• Aids digestion
• Support a healthy intestinal tract
• Increase absorption of nutrients
• Shakeology contains many ingredients that are beneficial to the digestive system.
• Prebiotics, natural components of certain plants, help support the “friendly” bacteria in your digestive tract.
• Probiotics are strains of live good bacteria that help with the digestive process. They assist the body in absorbing
nutrients and minerals, bring an overall balance to the digestive tract, and help support the immune system.
• Digestive enzymes, from sources such as pineapples and papayas, help your body break down food into its individual
components, making the nutrients easier to absorb.
2. Adaptogens (something I had never heard of before!)
• Help promote a strong immune system
• Help increase energy
• Help protect the body from stress
• Help balance endocrine hormones and the immune system
• Adaptogens are special herbs that grow in harsh climates and conditions, at high elevations, atop mountains where the soil is rocky and oxygen in the air is thin. Because these plants have to adapt to harsh conditions, they have highly
concentrated nutrients that can help your body cope with stress, provide energy, and maintain a strong immune system. Shakeology has a total of 9 adaptogens. Which is more than any other shake out there.
3. Antioxidants and phytonutrients (plant-sourced ingredients) may help maintain health*
• Help neutralize harmful free radicals
• Help decrease inflammation
• Help maintain the immune system
• Potentially decrease the risk of degenerative diseases
• Many of Shakeology’s fruit and vegetable sources have been chosen for their high concentration of healthy natural substances known as phytonutrients, including flavonoids, polyphenols, anthocyanins, and catechins. These substances have antioxidant properties, meaning they help neutralize molecules known as free radicals, which damage cells and may contribute to the aging process. In laboratory tests, phytonutrients have shown promise in helping prevent a wide variety of degenerative conditions.
4. 23 Vitamins and Minerals your body needs to function for optimal health*
• Get a wide range of essential nutrients
• Get your necessary vitamins every day
• Make up for dietary deficiencies
• Most of us don’t get the complete range of essential vitamins and minerals in our daily diets. Some important vitamins, such as vitamin C and the B vitamins, are water-soluble, meaning they’re flushed out of your body after a short time and need to be replenished regularly. Others, like vitamin E, can be difficult to get enough of in food. Shakeology Chocolate and Greenberry provide all these nutrients in an easy-to-take form, so you never have to worry. (Tropical Strawberry and Vegan Chocolate do not have the vitamin and mineral ingredients added.)
1. Do any of the Shakeology drinks contain caffeine?
“The removal of caffeine from Shakeology involves no chemicals, irradiation or genetic modification whatsoever. The non-GMO green tea ingredient (found in Greenberry and Chocolate) is decaffeinated via a water process before it is added to the formula. This is a chemical-free aqueous, molecular distillation processes for clean EGCG purification and extraction. Because this extract EGCG Green tea is so minimally processed, it provides the most antioxidant polyphenols, notably a catechin called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), which is believed to be responsible for most of the health benefits linked to green tea.
It’s important to note that the caffeine present in Chocolate Shakeology resides naturally in the cacao and is not removed by any means so that formula does contain caffeine.
For Tropical Strawberry Shakeology, our mission is to use only whole ingredients (not extracts) therefore a whole leaf, all-natural green tea is used in this formulation. This green tea naturally contains low levels of caffeine and as a result, Tropical Strawberry is not 100% caffeine-free.”
2. Are the ingredients organic?
“With the complexity of sourcing over 70 ingredients from all over the world, it was not possible to certify all the ingredients organic. However, they have been carefully selected and processed under strict controls to retain the highest density of nutrients possible.”
3. Are the ingredients obtained using Fair Trade?
4. Would the amino acids in Shakeology be considered synthetic vitamins?
“No, the amino acids in Shakeology are neither synthetic nor isolates. The amino acids are from the protein food sources in the Shakeology formula.”
5. What are the natural Strawberry and Raspberry flavors? Key word, “flavors” – natural flavors sometimes are a code for MSG and excitotoxin.
“Natural flavors for strawberry and raspberry mean these flavors are derived from the natural berry sources. There is absolutely no MSG or excitotoxins in any Shakeology ingredient.”
6. Where is Shakeology’s form of iodine derived from?
“The iodine in Shakeology is from kelp, a marine plant. There are no shellfish ingredients in Shakeology.”
7. Are the ingredients in Shakeology raw?
“There is no official government or regulatory definition of “raw” but a raw food diet is generally defined as a diet based on uncooked plant foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouts, seeds, nuts, grains, beans, nuts, dried fruit, and seaweed. Heating food above 115 degrees Fahrenheit is believed to destroy enzymes in food that can assist in the digestion and absorption of food. Based on this definition, the whole food ingredients in Shakeology are considered raw because they are not dried or heated above temperatures of 115 degrees.”
8. How are the ingredients in Shakeology dried?
“With over 70 ingredients in Shakeology, there is no one single drying process that is used across all ingredients. Some ingredients are dried naturally in the sun, some ingredients are air-dried at temperatures below 115 degrees, and some ingredients are freeze-dried. Shakeology does NOT use drum drying at high temperatures above 115 degrees, spray drying at temperatures above 115 degrees or ultra-high temperature pasteurization. Shakeology ingredients are not irradiated.”
9. Shakeology packaging used to say it was gluten –free. Why no longer?
“Because the safety of our customers is extremely important to us we felt it was prudent to include the statement that Shakeology is made in a factory that also handles gluten (wheat) based ingredients and we removed the Gluten Free statement. This does not mean that Shakeology contains gluten, in fact the Shakeology formula does not have any gluten based ingredients and we make every effort to prevent any ingredients with gluten from coming into direct or indirect contact with our product. This is taking a very conservative approach, however the health and safety of consumers is our number one priority.”
10. Why does Shakeology utilize whole plants as opposed to potent extracts from the plant?
“When only certain active ingredients found in a plant are sought after, scientists and food technicians will take the plant through a process to distill those desired extracts out of the whole plant and add that isolated extract to their nutrient blend. While this method is nutritionally sound and effective, Shakeology’s goal is to use the plant in its whole food form to preserve nature and avoid processing the ingredients as much as possible. Shakeology’s formulators believe that the sum of all the ingredients in Shakeology are greater than the individual ingredients alone. By including all parts of the whole plant in our Shakeology blends, virtually hundreds of phytochemicals and nutritional cofactors are present, acting in various roles to promote health. We take great pride in growing the best whole superfoods and our goal is to leave them as nature intended.”
11. Can pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers drink Shakeology?
Shakeology should only be taken by pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers under the direction of their physicians.
12. Can I take Shakeology if I have candida?
Shakeology does have ingredients obviously not safe on a strict anti-candida diet: fructose and starches. However, that being said, it has some of the lowest sugar and carb content of any nutritional shakes we’ve researched. In addition, many of the ingredients Shakeology contains are immune boosters and are actually known to fight candida. There are also many, many health benefits to these ingredients you don’t get elsewhere.
Note: I’m personally okay with drinking it, but please remember that your decision is for you and you alone.