Nutrition is THE MOST confusing and IMPORTANT variable in getting healthy! 90% – 95% of the food in most grocery stores is nutrient deficient toxic food. People who consume deficient toxic food can’t help but to occupy a deficient and toxic body.
Most of the nutrient dense and non-toxic food will usually be on the outside isles of the grocery store. Look for the organic, plant based and all natural whole foods. I’m personally 99% vegan because of what I have discovered in regards to the positive health benefits of a plant based diet. Every health conscious vegan I know has more natural energy and feels better than people who eat too much meat and dairy. They perform better, feel better, alleviate stress better, recover better from traumatic events, recover better from exercise, and they don’t “crash” in the middle of the day. This kind of plant based super food nutrition has also been known to prevent, arrest, and reverse many different kinds of chronic diseases. Hippocrates said, “Let thy food be thy medicine.” Here is a list of some GREAT items to throw in your shopping cart when you hit the store!
- Nuts and seeds
- Soy products (tofu, tempeh, soy milk and yes it’s good for you, read this)
- Seitan- a high-protein vegetarian food made from cooked wheat gluten
- Mock meat brands such as Tofurkey, Gardein, Beyond Meat, Quorn and of course the endless types of veggie burgers.
I don’t rely on 5-7 too much as they are processed foods and I find I can get enough protein from 1-4 but mock meats can be delicious and much better for you than animal meat so enjoy them!
- Oatmeal (steal cut oats or organic gluten free rolled oats)
- Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
- Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
- Oat Bran Cereal (watch sugar, less than 6 grams)
- Brown Rice
- Ezekiel sprouted bread
- Pasta (Whole Wheat, Ezekiel brand – watch serving, very dense)
- Pasta (Brown rice or Quinoa base, whole wheat or gluten free)
- Rice (jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild, brown)
- Potatoes (red, baking, new)
- Enjoy Life Cereal – Crunchy Flax Original Gluten Free 6 grams of fiber per serving!
- Whole Wheat Pita (Low Carb Variety – Joseph’s Pita Bread, or Food for Life brand)
- Corn Tortillas (Food for life brand)
- Whole Wheat Tortillas (Food for Life brand)
- Rice Cakes (lightly salted only)
Non Dairy Cheese!! (the most difficult VEGAN food to find that tastes good)
- DAIYA brand is the best I’ve found.. I’ve also had CASHEW based home made cheeses that, to my extreme surprise, taste better than the best dairy cheese I’ve had. I used to LOVE dairy cheese, but I just stay away from it now because dairy is a slow killer, literally. Google recipes that call for cashew cream which is easy to make and very delicious.
I used to be a strong advocate for milk and all dairy and I used to consume it regularly. I’ve learned things about milk and dairy that I cannot unlearn. Read my post on why dairy isn’t at all tempting to me anymore, but do your own research. If you choose to go dairy free for yourself and for your family I want it to be because you made an informed decision that you feel good about rather than because you blindly followed me. You may even find yourself very angry at the dairy industry, the federal government, the pharmaceutical industry, and big agriculture as you learn the truth about dairy that the dairy industry or the government is not going to tell you. Click Here for some non dairy resources.
Fibrous Carbs & Vegetables (Fresh first, frozen second, canned last choice)
- Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)/Bagged Salad
- Fresh Beets
- String Beans
- Black Beans
- Bell Peppers
- Brussels Sprouts
- Green or Red Pepper
- Spaghetti Squash
- Berries (All berries are great!)
- Lemons or Limes
- Eat bananas, strawberries, peaches, watermelon or plums sparingly (lots of natural sugar)
- Limit dried fruits, including raisins (none with added sugar)
- Olive Oil Extra Virgin First Cold Pressed
- Raw Nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews)
- Flaxseed Oil
- Coconut Oil – un refined extra virgin
- Sesame Oil – Cold pressed
- Water! (Install a water filter for your home. Bottled water is toxic. Bad for you and bad for the environment. And for Petes sake stay away from Vitamin or Flavored Water!)
- Unsweetened Tea (If you use sweetener make sure it’s all natural organic such as cane sugar or stevia)
- Coffee ( Always organic and fair trade. Fair trade ensures the farmers are compensated fairly)
- Non Dairy Milk (rice milk, almond milk, hemp milk, soy milk, flax milk)
Condiments & Misc.
- Organic Ville Non Dairy Mayo or Veganaise (surprisingly they taste better than regular mayo!)
- Bragg Liquid Aminos – Soy Sauce substitute
- Apple Cider Vinegar (unfiltered, raw, and unpasteurized)
- Miso (Make sure it contains NO MSG)
- Mirin (Look for EDEN brand)
- Rice Vinegar (Unflavored, unsweetened, no high fructose corn syrup)
- Umeboshi Vinegar
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Balsamic or Raspberry Vinaigrette (Farm Grove)
- Salsa or Fresh Pico De Gallo
- Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
- Cayenne Pepper Powder
- Pink Himalayan Salt http://www.himalasalt.com/
- Raw, Unfiltered Honey
- Grade “B” Dark Maple Syrup
- Agave Nectar
- Raw Cane Sugar
BEST Sweets to Curb your cravings!
- Shakeology (Vegan Chocolate is my personal fave!!!)
- PB2 – Powdered Peanut Butter that has 85% less fat than regular PB!
Powerful healers found in herbs and spices! Get into the habit of cooking with these immediately! Raw has more power in healing yourself and loved ones:
- Cayenne Pepper
More Tips: – Cut out dairy – Cut out GMO contaminated food – Eat More organic – Eat less gluten – Buy local whenever possible. Support your local economy and the land! – Red meat only if you must; ONLY GRASS FED. Corn fed cattle is pro inflammatory to the human body – Poultry; purchase only organic and cage free – Fish; purchase only wild caught. A lot of the fish farms are toxic and have sea lice as well as other bacteria destroying the nutritional benefit of their fish. – Pork; there really is no good option but if you buy it, buy organic More Resources to help you with a mostly natural Plant Based Whole Food Diet: Vegan Proteins Christina Cooks – Healthy VEGAN Cooking Teacher Sunshine Burger The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen – Nourishing Meals